80104 – BR Service
80104 and 80078 (formerly owned by SLL) were closely linked for many years. Both engines were built at Brighton works, both were allocated to the London, Tilbury & Southend section of the Eastern Region from new, and both were later transferred to the Western and London Midland Regions to finish their working lives in North Wales. They even had a common resting place at the Barry Island scrapyard of Woodham Brothers, a destiny they shared with most former LTS Standard Fours. However, these two in particular continued to enjoy a common existence, having both been saved from Barry by the Southern Steam Trust, and had their restorations completed by Southern Locomotives Ltd.
80104 engine was part of Brighton lot 6167, made up of 14 engines, again for the Eastern Region, and it emerged on 31st March 1955 at a cost of £18,206. Just like 80078, its first shed was Plaistow, (33A), in East London from where it worked the busy commuter trains between Fenchurch Street and Shoeburyness on the former London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. It remained at Plaistow until November 1959 when the shed closed. Its next allocation was Tilbury, (33B), where it remained until the electrification of the L.T.&S. lines in June 1962.
Following electrification of the L.T.&S., many of the older locomotives on the line were withdrawn but the Standard class 4 engines, being
almost new were stored at Old Oak Common whilst their fate was decided.
80104 near Benfleet shortly before the end of steam on the L.T.& S.R.
Transfer to the Western Region was effective from 15th July 1962, with its first allocation shown as Old Oak Common (81A), though that was
probably because it had been been stored there. It went to Crewe Works for heavy overhaul on 26th October 1962, and then allocation to
Croes Newydd, (89B), on 10th December 1962. It was absorbed into London Midland stock from 1st January 1963. A final move to Machynlleth, (89C),
and its sub-shed at Aberystwyth, took place in March 1963 and the shed code was changed from 89C to 6F on 9th September 1963. No.80104 was
finally withdrawn from Machynlleth during the week ending 24th July 1965.
80104 arriving at Barmouth in August 1964
The locomotive's first overhaul was at Stratford in September 1956, followed by a heavy overhaul at Darlington works during May 1958. After the transfer of its maintenance to Crewe on 17th June 1962, 80104 received a heavy general repair at Crewe dated 8th December 1962.