34028 Eddystone – BR Service
No 21C128 Eddystone was built at Brighton Works by the Southern Railway in April 1946 and went straight into traffic from Ramsgate where it took up regular duties on the Kent Coast services to Victoria and Cannon Street. (Bulleid adopted the French style of numbering for his pacifics). Following the nationalisation of the railways (1st January 1948), Eddystone was re-allocated to Exmouth Junction (Feb 1948), and renumbered 34028 at the end of that year. It soon appeared on that depot's top-link duties such as the Atlantic Coast Express and the Devon Belle which it worked as far as Salisbury.
Eddystone in original condition near Chandlers Ford in April 1956
Eddystone was one of the first Bulleid light pacifics to be rebuilt in August 1958 and was then transferred to Bournemouth where it worked services over the main line between Weymouth and Waterloo. It was also a regular performer on the Somerset and Dorset route to Bath. During this period it was often photographed on the most famous of the S & D trains, the Pines Express. In September 1962 it was transferred to Eastleigh and in April of the following year it worked a Southampton FA Cup special through to Birmingham Snow Hill. In May 1964 Eddystone had the dubious honour of being the first rebuilt Bulleid Light Pacific to be withdrawn.
Eddystone at Waterloo
It was sent to Woodham's scrapyard at Barry where it awaited its fate for the next 22 years. It was purchased by the Southern Pacific Rescue group and moved to a base at Sellindge near Ashford.
Eddystone awaits its fate at Barry Scrapyard