80078 – BR Service
The life histories of 80078 & 80104 have been inextricably linked throughout. Both engines were built at Brighton works, both were allocated to the London, Tilbury & Southend section of the Eastern Region from new, and both were later transferred to the Western and London Midland Regions to finish their working lives in North Wales. They even had a common resting place at the Barry Island Scrapyard of Woodham Brothers, a destiny they shared with most former L.T.&S. Standard Tanks. However, these two in particular have continued to enjoy a common existence, having both been saved from Barry by the Southern Steam Trust, only to have their restorations finally completed by Southern Locomotives Ltd.
This locomotive was new on 2nd February 1954 as part of Brighton lot 5788, consisting of 10 engines for the Eastern Region and
costing £17,364. Its first allocation was to Plaistow shed, (33A), for working commuter trains on the L.T.&S. lines between
Fenchurch Street and Shoeburyness. It was transferred to Tilbury, (33B), on 18th November 1956, where it remained until 17th June 1962 when steam finished on the L.T.&S. system.
80078 at Stratford in 1960
After a brief move to Stratford depot, (30A), it was transferred to the Western Region at Shrewsbury, (89A), on 15th July 1962. A move to Croes Newydd, (89B), near Wrexham in North Wales, during February 1963, teamed it up with famous cousins 80079 & 80080 once again. Due to boundary changes, 80078 was absorbed into London Midland Region stock from 1st January 1963, and consequently Croes Newydd's shed code was changed from 89B to 6C on 9th September 1963. This was to be its final allocation and, after a short period in store from 30th March, 80078 was withdrawn from there on 24th July 1965.
Maintenance records show that 80078 received an intermediate repair at Stratford works during October 1956, followed by a heavy overhaul at Darlington works in December 1960. Its maintenance was taken over by Crewe works on 17th June 1962 and it then received a heavy intermediate overhaul, dated 10th November 1962, probably at Crewe.
After withdrawal, No.80078 languished in various scrap lines until it arrived at Barry Scrapyard, in June 1966.